Even people who actively care about their health and diet, often unknowingly, poison themselves with what they eat. Learn just how toxic your blood can become. Then, Stop Poisoning Yourself!
Self-Inflicted Blood Poisoning is a common, everyday practice. We aim to open people’s eyes and mind so they can do something to change this deadly practice.
Part 1 – Fructose Poisoning
Unknowingly sometimes, but not always, people all over the world start everyday by ingesting what has now been determined by several advanced researchers to be toxic substances that, obviously enough, poison their blood and, therefore, their whole body.
We have been carefully educated, or shall I say, indoctrinated, by some food giants, with the belief that we should start the day with a glass of juice –orange or apple juice, a combination of breakfast cereals, fruit, and milk or a cup of coffee. So what is wrong with that?
Well, I could come up with several answers, but let’s just stick to the simplest: SUGAR, FRUCTOSE in particular.
In case you don’t already know, ordinary table sugar (sucrose) is a disaccaharide which means that it is made of two sugars: glucose and fructose on a 50/50 basis.
Glucose is the substance that gives energy to all the cells. So, in general, it is beneficial to the human body. The only problems with glucose are the excess of it and its source. More on that Later.
Fructose, on the other hand, is only beneficial in very small quantities. The maximum beneficial limit has been estimated by some experts somewhere between 15 and 25 grams per day. Any quantity above that limit acts more as a poison than a nutrient. And this limit is easily reached as it is obtained from the fruits and vegetables one must eat daily as part of a healthful diet. Even Onions contain fructose.
There is definitely no reason to add more fructose to our bodies. Avoiding it is the best option. Even limiting the ingestion of fruits rich in it.
Is it really that bad?!
Yes. The way fructose is metabolized is perhaps one of the major problems. You see, it is metabolized mainly in the liver and, as I understand, while there is any fructose in the system, the liver concentrates on metabolizing it and suspends any other of its functions.
Don’t forget that the liver is in charge of metabolizing and detoxifying almost everything that comes into the body, even if it tastes good!
The main byproducts of fructose metabolism are: Triglycerides, Uric Acid, and Glucose. And, the triglycerides are in the form of Very Small Density Lipoproteins—VSDLs—which are considered the most dangerous form of cholesterol.
In addition, what used to be thought of as the main benefit of fructose (diabetics beware!) has turned out to be its worst effect.
It does not stimulate the secretion of the food intake regulation hormones insulin or leptin. So people eating the substance cannot tell when they are full and keep on eating as they still feel hungry.
By not stimulating the secretion of insulin, diabetics were made to believe they could use it as a sugar substitute, but that has only made things worse for them. The risk of kidney damage and cardiovascular disease increased due to the increased amount of fructose.
Some research suggests that the chronic elevation of triglycerides in the bloodstream may increase the risk of insulin resistance and coronary heart disease.
But that’s not all, the Barcelona Study conducted by Drs. J.C. Laguna, et all, found that, on top of the above, fructose impairs overall fat-burning in the liver, thus, increasing blood triglycerides and body fat and also activating a pro-inflammatory genetic switch called: NF-kappaB.
More fat and more inflammation equals….. well, you guess.
This was just one of their findings, “The incidence of hypertension, nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD), dyslipidemia (mainly hypertriglyceridemia), insulin resistance, type 2 diabetes mellitus, obesity, and the cluster of many of these pathologies in the form of metabolic syndrome is higher in human population segments that show high intake of fructose”.
The metabolism of fructose is similar to that of ethanol (the alcohol contained in most alcoholic beverages, an acute central nervous system toxin and a chronic hepatotoxin because it is also metabolized mainly in the liver, except, fructose’s is even worse.
You would not give alcohol (ethanol) to your baby, would you? But you do give it fructose (as sugar or juice), don’t you? Orange Juice? Apple juice?
What About High Fructose Corn Syrup?
Now, sugar is bad enough, but wait till you hear about HFCS or High Fructose Corn Syrup which its makers promote as equal to sugar, but which, in fact, is even worse. Perhaps because there is no bond holding the glucose and fructose molecules together, or because it is an unnatural, chemical product made by changing glucose in corn syrup into fructose. But this is another story…
The bottom line as far as I am concerned is that fructose, like ethanol, will destroy your (and your children’s) liver, pancreas, kidneys, and digestive system and make you/them overweight.
It can also be the cause of NAFLD or Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease and Fatty Pancreas which are the main causes of Type 2 Diabetes and many other metabolic diseases.
Make sure to watch this video on Youtube: Shocking Truth! Is Sugar TOXIC?
But I must also tell you this: The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) classifies fructose as: Generally Recognized As a Safe (GRAS). This classification is supported by the National Health Promotion and Disease Prevention Objectives of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Service; and the American Heart Association concluded, in a 2002 scientific statement on sugar and cardiovascular disease, that, “for most individuals, consuming fructose either pure or in the form of sucrose has neither beneficial nor adverse effects.“I would take this with a grain of … salt. How would you?
Well, the Scientific Evidence seems to contradict the above recommendation. There are many studies connecting Fructose with a host of metabolic conditions beyond the scope of this article but worth taking into account.
I believe it’s best to stop drinking sugary soft drinks (also called sodas, or pops, etc.) and fruit juices. In particular, I would avoid anything containing HFCS. It is extensively used as a sweetener for soft drinks or pops in the USA, but it also appears in most processed foods (If you dare call them “foods”). You just have to check on the ingredients of the particular item you are contemplating buying.
A blog on HFCS is on the way. You will be surprised to learn just how ubiquitous is it in the American Diet.
I hope you have been reading and taking note of everything explained above. I also hope you agree with me that you should avoid sugar and HFCS. In fact, you should do it for the whole family if you have one.
WHAT TO DO NOW
If you do follow my lead above and completely give up added sugars and HFCS, the first thing that you will notice is that you would lose excess weight fast. You will also feel more energetic and fall sick less often, Just make sure you do not replace them with synthetic sugar substitutes which can be even more harmful. HFCS can be given up completely as it is also synthetic. Then, use a natural sweetener, say, raw honey (About 40% Fructose ??? ) in very small amounts, to pace down the elimination of the sweet taste. Better yet, use natural Stevia.
By Hector Vargas
PS. Serious comments, related with this topic are welcomed from people directly connected with health and nutrition and other relevant areas. Guest writers are also welcomed. However, the usual comments have been disabled to discourage spammers. Please submit your comments to: firstname.lastname@example.org. One link to a relevant website is allowed.
Register with us to get:
How Toxic Is Your Blood? Part 2 Ethanol delivered to your email inbox.